WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
- To follow the example set by Christ: At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river. Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commands it: Jesus said, “Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:19-20
- My baptism demonstrates that I’m really a believer.
- …many of the people who heard Him believed and were baptized. Acts 18:8
- We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands. 1 John 2:3
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
- It illustrates Christ’s burial & resurrection.
- Christ died for our sins…He was buried …and He rose again. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian.
- When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead…so also we may live a new life. Romans 6:4
WHY BE BAPTIZED BY IMMERSION?
- Because Jesus was baptized by immersion
- As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. Matthew 3:16
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion.
- …then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water… Acts 8:38-39
- The word “baptize” means “to dip under water.”
- The Greek word baptize means “to immerse or dip under water.”
- It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection.
- I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the word imports and the mystery signifies. – Martin Luther
- The word “baptize” signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church. -John Calvin
- Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church. -John Wesley